My 1970 Standard Beetle Diary

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Salvage Yards and Wheels!

The Resto has begun!

Steve took off half a day on Friday to take me to some salvage yards. He's got a lot of vacation time.

The first place we went was an import place...very professionally run. A very courteous young man assisted us and I was able to find a pretty decent dome light for a dollar.

Then we went to another salvage yard.

That was a weird weird experience. Very spooky!

We walked in (me, the jedis and Steve) and about 8-10 men were standing there...no one said a word. They just stared at us. Finally, this old guy says "Can I help you?" I said "We want to look at your Beetles. He said "All right, but we close in just a few minutes."

So we went rushing out there and literally, there were half a dozen Bugs there...and it was surrounded by a SWAMP! Steve and I looked around and we found this huge hood...like to a big truck or something! We managed to pick that thing up and make a bridge out to the Beetles!

Found a 1970 just like mine, Yukon Yellow and everything...I need it's left front fender, but we didn't have time to get it.

As we left, all those men were still just standing there staring at us! Like we'd stumbled on their still or something! It was weird.

I told Steve "You're coming back to get that fender...I'm not coming out here alone!"

He said "No, you're not."

Saturday afternoon, we went to the VW Club of Tulsa meeting. This car caught my eye!



This is what my car should look like. This one is the same year and the same color...1970 Yukon Yellow. I was looking at the label inside the car door and pointed out to the owner that his car was 2 months older than mine. He said "How do you know?" I pointed to the label and said "See, it says 02/70..."

He's got fancy wheels on his and has redone the interior to be really nice. My wheels are the "stock" wheels, but only two of them were any good. One of them was bent really badly and the other wasn't even a wheel that came with the car. A guy from The Samba in OKC sold me a pair of 1970 stock wheels. Another guy, from the VW Club, went to OKC yesterday for a show and picked them up for me.

So I'm not just tearing apart anymore...with the purchase of the wheels and a dome light, the restoration of this old Bug has truly begun!

1 Comments:

  • Interesting. I just read through from the beginning; how about some "missing" info?

    Why a Bug?

    Who are you and your family?--basics only, of course--I assume Steve is a student (of what?), and the Jedi are the kids.

    I don't know what the "etiquette" of blogging is--whether it is kosher to mention the names of businesses you use in your restoration, or not. It would be good to know the names of the companies you deal with that you have positive experiences with.

    I am starting to work on an old dirt/street rail. Being new to the Bug scene in Tulsa, any insight would be useful

    It's been pretty smooth sailing for you so far--keep at it and have fun! Don't let the "opportunities" that will surely arise get you down.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home