My 1970 Standard Beetle Diary

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Seats

This is what I did yesterday...Steve worked on making blocks, I didn't get any pictures of him, he was just sawing.

Matthew took the bolts off that hold the two parts of the seat together...he put the bolts and washers in a labeled baggie.

Here I am working on removing the "hog rings" or brass rings that hold the seat cover onto the frame of the seat...

Here is the underneath of the bottom of the seat. Note the horsehair pad? It's totally falling apart and was full of mouse droppings. You can purchase replacement pads. I really wished I had a face mask while I was taking this apart...I did stay upwind of it.

Here is the upright part of seat. A total mess, I did find big clumps of mouse fur in here. Yuck.

And here it is with the stuffing off. The foam rubber molding up at the top seems salvageable...only slightly deteriorated where it was exposed to the elements. I'm on the lookout for something to seal it with.

After I finish removing all the stuffing, I'll go back with a brush and make sure it's spotless, then I'll likely paint it with Rustoleum or something...

1 Comments:

  • Looks like a lot of work! Check here to search for cheap parts:

    http://search.starware.com/search.php?product=hsearch&tmpl=1B&src_id=9001&qry=1970%20beetle%20parts

    Chris

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home