My 1970 Standard Beetle Diary

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Running Board Removal

The Bug only came with one running board on the passenger side. It was very rusty and had sharp edges that I was afraid someone (namely me) might slice their leg on it. So, with some help from some people at The Samba, I set out to remove this running board.

~~~~~
Here is the running board. See how rusty?? If you so much as barely touched it, it would shower flakes of rust.



~~~~~
Here I am working on it. Don't stick out your tongue! You'll get rust on it!



~~~~~
Here's the bolt hole in the front fender. There wasn't a bolt in the back fender.



~~~~~
Now this is one of the little 10mm bolts that I had to loosen in order to slip the running board up and away. As a matter of fact, it was the only one. And it was covered with a black caulk. Took some searching to find it. I found the access holes for the others...there should be four per side.



~~~~~
It's off! Notice I got smart and put on a pair of gloves! I threw the rusty running board right in the trash can. Big Bird approves.

1 Comments:

  • Very cool story....got my 73 Super (see webpage) in the Fall via eBay and am doing a similiar project...without the garage...yikes! Mine is already a daily driver...thanks to much engine and brake work to start...and I have just had the rims powdercoated white...looks good with new hubcaps (and new all black tires..old ones dated to 77...ouch!). Inside is now torn apart...kind of wierd to drive it like this...but oh well. My first Bug...so this is quite a learning curve. Once it warms up, remaining rust will be die!

    Cheers,
    Jeffrey @ Athens Ohio

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home