My 1970 Standard Beetle Diary

Monday, December 11, 2006

Christmas Came Early!

At least for me it did! My new parts came in, we picked them up on Saturday and it was very exciting!

See, here are the two new floor pans, the front cross member and the new driver's side heater channel...all set up in my living room (along with the Christmas tree and some laundry!)



Sunday, after church, I moved the stuff out to the shop. This is kinda the way it will look in the car.



See this hole in the front driver's side wheel well?



That will have to be repaired before we put the new heater channel on, because the heater channel attaches on right there, on the inside. Here's the repair panel. We don't need all of it, we'll just cut what we need to fit.



Here's the new heater channel.



Remember that patch Steve was working on? He got it finished. He sprayed some rust converter up in between the layers of sheet metal, used our neighbor's air compressor to really blow it up in between, then welded the patches into place. Here's the end result. Very nice! It will just need some seam sealer



Then Steve started getting the area where the front cross member attaches ready. It will need to be smooth and positioned just perfectly before he welds it into place. Matthew sat by and watched.



Here he is, giving it a test fit. See the notes, measurements and illustrations I made before removing the old one?

2 Comments:

  • *****excited squeal*******

    Girl! You guys are making progress!!!

    :-)

    I'm so excited for you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 AM  

  • You are doing a great job!
    I wish I could make a work like that I've just finished a 1975 and next I will restore a 1963, but I am not doing the hard work as you are. Unfortunately I have to send my cars to a professional, because I don't have a big garage... Good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home