My 1970 Standard Beetle Diary

Monday, August 06, 2007

Off the Sawhorses!

For the first time in months, my old car is back together and off the sawhorses!

First, Steve had to drills some holes where he patched over the existing bolt holes in the passenger side firewall...



Then he bolted the car back together and very carefully we lowered the car down. We did it a bit differently than Rick Higgins showed in the Bug Me video, mostly because we didn't have the big jack our neighbor let us borrow. But we managed, even with our small jacks.











Down!



Here it what it looks like on the inside...doesn't it look GREAT??



We kept the boys out of the shop because I was worried the car might slip, but after it was safe on the ground, they came in and looked.

Here's Joshua checking it out with me...Matthew took this picture.



Steve is planning on getting the front chassis support and the floor pans securely welded into place, then we move on to the next big thing...the actual replacement of the driver's side heater channel.

That was it for the day...we were hot and tired. The temperature had gotten up to 98 degrees F (that's 37 degrees C for my European friends) so we came in and got cleaned up then sat down and watched Mr. Higgins change his heater channel again.



I bet we've watched him do this fifty times.

Before I go, I have to tell you this...you know how I'm always going on and on about how the people in Oklahoma are so nice? They drive by and wave and smile, sometimes they stop and visit, many times reminiscing fondly about a Bug in their past. They've helped us by lending us tools and sometimes giving us helpful items, like the manual my Sunday school teacher's wife gave us that belonged to her father who has passed away...and the man down the street that gave us some old authentic VW tools.

Well, late Saturday evening a man walked up to our shop. He walked up behind me and nearly startled me out of my skin! He had a couple of hubcaps from a Beetle he once owned...a couple that matched our two good ones perfectly. He introduced himself, told us where he lived in the neighborhood and then just gave us the hubcaps! He said he'd been watching us work on the Bug for a long time and thought we might could use them. What a nice thing for him to do! He said he had other stuff too, and would keep an eye out for anything we might could use.

Once again, I was just astounded by the generosity of the people of this state.

1 Comments:

  • Kim and Steve,

    You guys are awesome. It really is starting to look like a car again. All four of you need to be congratulated for continuing in a steady path towards completion of your dream car.
    If I can ever be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to call. You have my number.

    Your friend Pete

    By Blogger ThatVWGuy, at 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home